After update, businesses show as numbers

Hi,

Today I updated my manager (windows desktop) to the latest version. After the update, first I saw my 3 administrations listed as long numbers. After clicking one, I got some SQlite error. After restarting manager, it now looks like this:

I did not make a backup before the update: stupid me. the 3 administrations at first glance look ok, but I’m worried something might still be broken.

Is there some way to verify the integrity? Does manager make a backup before updating administrations? Any idea why there is still one ‘numeric’ administration (it first showed totals in this administration, but now they are 0, while I did not make any changes)?

Thanks!

1 Like

Manager has changed what computer operating system name is given to the files stored on your computer.

In the past they were given a string of hexadecimal digits as a computer name. This computer name was converted into the Business names we recognise by a table stored in the file 000000000000000000000.Manager

The new way is the files stored on your computer are given the Business names we recognise directly.

When the new version of Manager first starts it sees and displays Businesses with the hexadecimal computer names. When you first open a business it uses the old conversion table to convert & rename the files to the new format.

Through out all of this the file content is not changed. Your businesses data remain safe and untouched.

1 Like

Thanks. However, it doesn’t explain that I now have an empty administration with a large number. I guess I can delete that one? Also the sQlite errors. Maybe something in the conversion process is not yet working well?

Thanks anyway, it seems all is working.

The business with the numbers name and zero size is probably the one you clicked on initially. Manager renamed all the business but was not able to delete that name as you were using it.

If you restart Manager it will probably disappear.

Similar experience here. Quite an unpleasant surprise to launch after an upgrade and see a screen like that. The first two files I tried gave me the error, ‘This business database is not valid’. The third game me, ‘SQLite.SQLiteException: no such table: Objects …’. I then clicked on the ‘00000000000000000000000000000000.manager’ file. It opened up, but not with my data, so I restarted (a second time), and finally saw my business file.

Sorry to be blunt, but this really isn’t a cool way to update an internal file naming convention. Let the updated app check for this on first launch and fix things in the background, or at the very least inform the user that their file needs to be updated so they understand what is going on.