Customers | Receivables | Tracking Code

Can we add Tracking Code in Reports → Customers.

We manage our receivables tracking code wise. Therefore, it would be easy for specific region/office to pull total receivable details.

Tracking codes apply only to income and expense accounts. Accounts receivable is a balance sheet account. So there are no tracking codes applied to sales invoices that could be associated with a customer, but only to individual line items.

As it was requested in other discussion too

whereas I got the same response for IS v BS items .

Any possibility to add any custom field so we can think to provide uniform codes and filter it manually for further follow-ups.

You can certainly add custom fields to customers and/or sales invoices. These will not only allow filtering, they will enable built-in reports that could be useful.

I am actually asking for this report, if any the tracking code or any of the custom field can be available so one can easily filter those invoices and create Batch PDF for the follow-up.

You apparently did not understand my answer. Tracking codes cannot be associated with customers, because they apply to individual line items, not overall transaction forms or customers. Read the Guide about custom fields: Use custom fields | Manager. If you set the custom field to show as a column, it will be included in the Sales Invoices list and be available for searching. After you have searched, you catch use Batch PDF to generate a file of only those invoices. You can also use the Sales Invoice Totals by Custom Field report.

In other words, you can get the information you want, but not using tracking codes.

We got your point and are recording all our IS transactions (line items) with tracking codes! Even this is one of the feature which pursue us to proceed with Manager considering our requirement for dept/location offices.

I have also checked the same. As you said so, it will give ONLY those invoice whereas we have to follow customer including arrears not invoice to invoice.

A separate request to consider Tracking Code for BS has been sent.

Like any custom field is created, it ask for ‘show custom field as a column’

We have added multiple fields in Customer tab and after enabling said option column also appears.

At this point, I am inquiring and requesting for the possibility of adding a column in AR Reports. This way we may be able to filter through custom field and follow Total AR.

This feature is available in Customer tab, we need the same in AR report. I hope you got the point and considering the readily available you might be able to find solution.

Kindly check Batch PDF option in Customer tab, it is giving error ‘not implemented yet’ in PDF file after generating.

First,@Rajwani how do you plan to use such a feature? Are you going to assign a customer to a Revenue Centre (Tracking code) or will this code be used when drafting an invoice or making payment?. If you intend to assign a customer to a revenue Centre then you can achieve this with the customer code. All you have to do is to design a coding system that can be used to filter customers according to their office when a report is copied onto a spread sheet.

Example all customers dealing with Pyongyang Office will have a code starting with 1000, so, we can have the first customer as 1000-10001 and the next 1000-10002. Customers who deal with Moscow Branch will have a code starting with 2000, so, we can have the first customer as 2000-10001 and the second as 2000-10002.
I do not know the nature of your business so this suggestion may not be practicable.

@lubos @Tut I have not tested the dimensional accounting reporting capabilities of every software out there but I believe the ability to filter balance sheet reports (for Customer reports, fixed asset reports, supplier reports, employee reports and inventory items) with codes is not a far fetched idea. I know custom fields easily do this in the tabs but they are limited because they cannot show us a report like the customer ageing report which can only be found under Reports.

For example, If I have 3 transportation businesses in different parts of the country (revenue Centre) but under one company, the current fixed asset report will show all (long list) the fixed asset items when a report is generated. The user needs to export the report and work with it on a spreadsheet to get a report for a specific business/revenue centre. But with a filter code, we could easily generate a report for a specific revenue center and see the list of fixed assets located only in that Centre. Same can be said for the various customer, supplier, inventory and employee reports. Inventory reports for example could be filtered to show only inventory items of some categories (e.g. Electronics, ceramics, Toyota Spare parts etc). Employee reports could be filtered with codes for locations/departments

This idea when added to the custom control accounts and custom fields features in Manager would take Manager’s dimensional accounting reporting a step higher. I’m therefore going to add it to the ideas :bulb:.

1 Like

I have seen many ideas that involve Tracking codes with Balance Sheet, with Customers … etc and I am all in for more options, BUT

There is already a very promising idea with regards to shared custom fields that, I believe, once it makes production, tracking codes would become obsolete because then you will be able to slice and dice your BS, P&L, tabs, lines … you name it in as many dimensions as you like.

Personally, I think if we focus our votes to achieve the bigger more general feature is better than focusing on specific implementations.

1 Like

Yes, each item of IS have respective tracking code. We have assigned tracking code to each Customer. Even BS items are also assigned with tracking code; specially fixed assets are depreciation and cost is transferring IS.

That’s a good idea but for that we need to revamp our existing structure and re-design respective parameter otherwise we were thinking to continue with same code. Even length of code will increase to print on SI and etc.

Please add my vote also!!

You can cast your vote:

I am all for global (shared) custom fields, as it would make custom report creation so much easier.

However, the tracking code function has the ability to be displayed as a comparative column for inbuilt reports, and if it was to be replaced with custom field, then custom fields would need to be selectable as a comparative column.

The developer has stated on several occasions that tracking codes will be replaced by “Divisional Accounting” which will enable the ability to track balance sheet items.

1 Like

Sure, there’s no ready reports for custom fields right now, at least for now.

That’s very possible too, maybe that would be a bit more user friendly than shared custom fields. There might also be room for the two, put personally, I’d rather get general purpose tool that takes a little getting used to than a special tool for each specific purpose.

But that’s just me, any way both ideas are valid.

That maybe okay for the those who have the competency and the ability to implement.

As with Custom Reports, where users can struggle to achieve the desired results, shared custom fields could lead to the same struggles. Then you can programme updates which can break the Custom Fields, which is what happen with Custom Reports a while back where an existing structure was detonated overnight and still today Users haven’t got back to the point of creating reports with the previous capabilities.

Also, the success of Manager is it’s ability to be used by non-accountants, who may have no IT (software) skills besides using the keyboard and mouse. For example, one drives a car using the steering wheel, pedals and other controls and has no need to tinker under the bonnet where there’s the hardware and software.

Agreed.

That’s right. That’s a good reason to keep the tracking codes alongside shared custom fields.

But what I believe would be really great is to have tracking codes be a user-friendly implementation of shared custom fields. I really hope that that’s possible.

Powerful program features are a double edged sword. The more powerful the feature, the more a user can customise Manager in ways which would not be available otherwise. The disadvantage is users must both know how customising Manager would help them (ie design which includes both an appreciation of what could be done & insight into what would really help accomplish an overall accounting tasks) but also how to actually do the actual customisation (coding). It applies to all features in Manager such as chart of accounts, custom themes, and custom reports.

Looking at tracking codes & custom fields.

Track codes are relatively simple & structured global variable. Because of their simplicity their application is relatively well documented in the guides.

Custom fields are more general and powerful local variables. Because of their general nature, how to create them is documented but specific use is not.

I’m not convinced making local custom fields have global scope by dynamic cloning rules is a good approach.

In my opinion if Manager needs global custom fields then that should be added together with a user defined static scope. So such a global custom field would consist of

• field name
  • field type
  • list options etc
  • scope (check box for each tab it appears in)

This approach then allows later searching and sorting in reports as well as copying.

Added to the latest version (21.6.29). You can now set Division on individual customers and suppliers.

Then on the following reports you can select division too:

• Aged Receivables
  • Customer Summary
  • Aged Payables
  • Supplier Summary

This will allow you to generate reports above for the specific division only.

How to set Divisions on individual customers and suppliers

Thank you @lubos, it really helps us…!!! Please allow to add descriptions also.

Edit them and choose the division from the dropdown menu.