Zero-amount invoices not posted to cash-basis general ledger

This is just one entry amongst 100’s, but let’s analyse just this one:

• a Sales Invoice 2017-01-30 which
  • tracks sales to an income account (“Sales-MLEN”)
  • creates a like, but reverse entry into an asset account (“A/R-Menulog”)
  • I do not allocate GST to the A/R account and track it once through the original sale

I now have a negative balance in the A/R-ML which is an asset account.

Accrual accounting:

Cash accounting:

There is no entry for this sale (I assume because no cash has exchanged hands

Why does the above sales invoice (right at the very top) NOT appear in here?

I’ve been trying to guess at and arrive at solutions that work and make the balances “adjust”, but I can’t wrap my head around it, and it’s not adjusting.

Those receipts into the cash at bank account adjust the A/R-ML, but the sale invoice (creating part of the sale to which that receipt relates) does not.

edit: added A/R payment of 2017-02-02 to show it’s on the same A/R account

This is leading to errors elsewhere in manager and I am not confident of the data I am sending my accountant.

I am registered for GST on a cash basis as per my accountants recommendations. It is not an option to change to accrual method of accounting. Please, let us not enter into a discussion or debate on which it should be.

I believe this is the same bug as I reported the other day (Stock on hand, why is manager telling me I have so much? - #15 by lubos), except this is about account balances rather than inventory

This has become pretty urgent.

I did mention that the issue is due to zero-amount invoices not posted to general ledger on cash-basis.

I’m not entirely sure whether zero-amount invoices should be allowed in Manager in the first place.

I have worked out it is EXACTLY related.

For a few periods I recorded eatnow and menulog payments on a sales invoice by themselves with no mention to other totals of the day. Those days (that have “Sales-MLEN” and “A/R-ML” only—more correctly, where the balance at the end of the invoice is zero) are the values that are being summarised incorrectly.

If There is just 1 cent attached to the invoice and a payment is made, it clears and works. A real PITA since I did it this way as a result of a lengthy discussion in these forums about how best to accommodate my needs. That’s ok, I don’t mind that, I will fix that problem.

That’s a big call, and yours to make obviously. But it would appear to me (a non accountant) an invoice, totalling to zero, would still need to have the underlying accounts reconciled.

A zero nett amount invoice was useful in this case

and here

1 Like

Just a observation. Based on the first screenshot, I wouldn’t use a negative qty, I would enter the A/R value as a negative value: -48.76.

Now that won’t fix the zero sales invoice under cash basis, but it removes a complication.

Also, why cash accounting may be best for the business, changing to accrual accounting is probably the quickest way to resolve the issue as all transactions will then record correctly.

I suspect the impact will be minimal as A/R and A/P balances would be less than $5k.
Also, reconciling will be a dream as you have no hidden transactions.

Fixed in the latest version (19.10.17)

4 Likes

No man, there is a HUGE list of restrictions AS-IS and the development team is not so keen on looking after niche user needs.

Zero valued documents provide one work around for many unnecessary restrictions. One of these restrictions is the Document Referencing System, specifically, in open document statements of account (named unpaid invoices) I cannot show open on-account-receipts, Dr/Cr notes or Journals, or anything really not labelled as invoice.

Another restriction is the allocation of customers and suppliers to a SINGLE control account (a practice that is outdated if you ask me, separate dimension are the way to go now) which result in having to maintain multiple accounts for a single counterparty if your relationship is complex. Which cause giving out wrong net receivable/payable figures because of missing out an account or two.

My work around all of these unnecessary restrictions is creating dummy-0-valued invoices. I cannot tell my Clients no what you want is wrong because Manager team says so. They will just say: “Use something else.”

I really like Manager despite all of its unnessary restrictions but adding more restrictions is not the way to go, what you believe may seem right to you but so does what other people think. You should always go with the method that gives the end user the option instead of forcing a workflow which may not suit the users need.

If you want to keep your current restrictions, leave us something to work with, 0-valued documents incl. invoices are a must.

@Ealfardan this is resolved issue. Zero-valued invoices are now posted to general ledger on cash-basis too.

1 Like

You cannot imagine how relieved I am to hear this.

I just cannot express enough gratitude. Thanks a lot.

1 Like

5 posts were split to a new topic: Zero valued Invoices not showing on transaction statements