[16.7.73] Categorization against customer and supplier accounts more intuitive

Previously if payment was to be allocated against the invoice, user would select Accounts receivable account, then select invoice.

If payment was to be allocated against customer, then user would select Customer credits account, then customer would have to be selected.

Although from accounting point of view, this approach was working. It was not intuitive.

The latest version is changing this. It is no longer possible to select Customer credits account because drop-down to select a customer is now under Accounts receivable

When Accounts receivable account is selected, you will be able to select customer.

When customer is selected, you can optionally select an invoice. If you don’t select any invoice, Manager will automatically allocate payment against the oldest unpaid invoice. If there is no unpaid invoice, the customer account will be in credit. The credit will be automatically applied to the next issued invoice.

The bottom line is, when payment is received from customer, always select Accounts receivable account. If payment is made to supplier, always select Accounts payable account.

2 Likes

@Lubos,

This is a nice improvement. Thank you!

Do you think you might have the Account default to Accounts receivable whenever Receive cash is used (and to Accounts payable whenever Spend cash is used)?

The user could still change it to a different account, but since most cash transactions involve A/R or A/P, it would save two clicks and some typing if it could default to A/R or A/P.

Thank you, this is a nice improvement and makes it a lot easier to find the invoices to receive payment for.

Would it be possible to enable the program to autofill the amount for the invoice whilst still giving people the option to change the amount. In general clients pay the invoice in full, so autofilling the amount of the invoice would be more useful.

Secondly, would it be possible to change the order of invoices from highest number to lowest because the highest number is most likely to be the unpaid invoice that you are receiving payment for.

I disagree. Many businesses will hardly ever (or never) have an Accounts payable transaction. The Purchase Invoices module might not even be enabled. If presented bills are paid immediately, no purchase invoices are required.

Likewise, Accounts receivable might be seldom or never used. Many businesses operate primarily on cash receipts rather than sales invoices.

A far better solution, which has been requested many times, is for only unpaid invoices to be shown. In that situation, it would be more likely for the oldest (lowest-numbered) invoice to be the one you want to select.

Yes I concur, a better solution would be to only show unpaid invoices and thus the lowest number would then be the oldest invoice! So ignore what I said about that!

@lubos… still waiting for the biggest feature for me… AUDIT TRAIL… Having clients in queue to buy manager server once this feature is activated. Please let it be the next release.

1 Like

@lubos, Thank you. This is better. I concur with @dalacor re autofilling the amount.

voila! you know how we think! thank you so much.very good work.

munidasa

Hi Lubos

Since this last update I can’t find customer credit to assign transaction to when I receive money in a cash account. Has this process changed or am I missing something?

Edit

after reading again and testing, Found that invoice selection is optional. answered my own question.

Some times I received/paid an advance payment for specific job and at the same time there are unpaid invoices and I don’t want them to be closed for now!!

Then don’t allocate money received to Accounts receivable.

You can create custom sub-ledger for these prepayments by using Special Accounts tab and allocate these payments to your special accounts.

OK… i’ll try that

Thanks

The drop-down currently lists all invoices sent to the selected customer, in chrono order from oldest to newest back to the beginning of time, regardless of payment status.

It would be better if the drop-down listed only unpaid (and partially paid) invoices, in reverse chrono order from newest to oldest. It would be better still if the drop-down showed the amount of each invoice on the list.

When that happens, the entry that is generated in the A/R ledger and that is displayed in the payment Receipt mentions only the customer’s name.

It would be better if the entry (or entries) specified the invoice number(s) that the payment was applied against.

(See also this new thread: https://forum.manager.io/t/streamlining-receipt-of-payments/6774.)

1 Like

2 Suggestions for when not selecting an invoice:

1. How about first allocating payment against an unpaid invoice that has a matching amount (of the billed total) before automatically allocating payment against the oldest unpaid invoice.

2, If we were to add a variable to our invoicenumbers (F.E. rinv2016002, with “rinv” being the variable) that customers would have to add in the description. Manager could automaticly suggest linking that entry to invoice 2016002.

1 Like