[16.7.65] Extended ability to create custom control accounts

In the latest version, it is now possible to have multiple control accounts for most subsidiary ledgers:

• Cash accounts
  • Customers
  • Suppliers
  • Inventory items
  • Fixed assets
  • Intangible assets

To create custom control account, go to Chart of Accounts and click New Account button.

When creating new account you will notice Control account checkbox. If you tick the box to indicate you are creating control account, you will need to specify what this control account is made up of.

Example

Let’s say we have number of fixed assets. By default, the purchase cost of all fixed assets will be shown on balance sheet under Fixed assets account. What we would like to do is to split fixed assets into categories so each category shows on balance sheet separately. E.g.

• Land & Buildings
  • Motor Vehicles
  • Furniture

In order to do this, we will need to create three control accounts which will be made up of fixed assets.

Once you have these accounts created, you will need to edit individual fixed assets under Fixed Assets tab to select control account to which they should belong.

After you’ve selected custom control account for each fixed asset, you will be able to see under Fixed Assets tab which fixed asset belongs to which custom control account.

If you have created custom control for customers, you will be able to select control account when editing customer. The same applies to suppliers, inventory items, intangible assets or cash accounts.

What’s next

Even though implementation should be easy to understand and work with, there is always something to improve.

For example, when you are in Chart of Accounts, you will see new column named Sub Accounts.

This column indicates how many sub-accounts an account contains if it’s marked as control account. Perhaps these figures should be clickable so you can see which sub-accounts are assigned to control account and maybe bulk-moving should be implemented. For example, if you want to move a lot of inventory items or customers from one control account to another.

1 Like

Thank you. I have been waiting eagerly for the custom control account feature for inventory items. When I have time this week, I will give it a spin and see how it works out for using custom control accounts for inventory items! I will let you know what I think!

Hopefully this will also fix the issue of seeing wallet and bank account separately on my summary page as I have to currently click cash accounts to see the breakdown of bank accounts.

Many thanks! :joy:

Is there any issue with the Fixed Asset report with this update? The accumulated depreciation just vanished… and also the latest addition to Fixed Asset.

Well done @lubos . You need a Holiday in Ghana. All on me :slight_smile:

Not only did accumulated depreciation vanish from the Fixed Asset Summary, so did disposals. Although I haven’t tested, I suspect additions might also not appear. As of yet, I have no custom control accounts involved with fixed assets, just the default account created when Fixed Assets tab is enabled. (Version 16.7.67)

The Summary and Fixed Assets tab register both show all information correctly.

Yes I have also noticed the Accumulated depreciation issue. Also, when you click on the supplier/customer control accounts, you see invoices instead of the names of the suppliers/customers and their respective balances. I believe that not the best.
I also want to request for the extension to cover accounts that don’t fall in cash, customers, suppliers, inventory, fixed asset and intangible asset. For just an example I may want to have a control account called Staff Liabilities for Staff Provident Fund 10%, staff Provident Fund 20%, Staff welfare dues accounts, just to know the total amount of liabilities owed to staff at a glance of the balance sheet.

I know that @lubos will correct all errors until the feature is 100% complete.:sunglasses:

By “supplier/customer control accounts” are you referring to Accounts payable/receivable or Supplier/Customer credits, or something else?

@Lubos,

Is this the way to do job-based accounting, by setting up a customer as a control account and then setting up jobs underneath the customer as subaccounts? Or is job-costing coming separately?

I understand that Job Costing will be a completely separate module

Fixed Assets Summary report should be fixed in the latest version.

It will go back to list of customers.

Custom subsidiary ledgers would address this but I’m not yet sure how it would fit overall into the program.

Job-costing is completely separate thing. It will be new tab in the left navigation where you will be able to create jobs.

@Tut yes referring to Accounts receivable and accounts payable

@lubos[quote=“lubos, post:12, topic:6435”]
It will go back to list of customers.
[/quote]

I meant to talk about Account Payable and Account Receivable. Instead of displaying the various balances of the customers, it is rather displaying invoices.

Hi!

Thats very good solution!
If possible, then it would be also good by fixed assets to see depreciation on separate control account.
Example: if you create different fixed asset groups (accounts), then you can also see depreciation on separatley. It would be very good by creating annual reports.

With kind regards
Gunnar

Hi, can someone explain to me where this can be useful? Basically I sell inventory items - in this case what would be the use of creating custom accounts? Would I create a custom account for each item?

Custom Control Accounts would enable the user the option to group different types of Inventory and have their value displayed on the Balance Sheet. For example a manufacturing business might want to see the value of their raw material inventory separately from the value of their finished goods inventory.

@Abeiku, the latest version will show customer names when you click on `Accounts receivable balance.

@gunnar.michelson, yes, I’m planning to add this too very soon.

2 Likes

I dont know why i am facing this problem
Quantity is nil while value of inventory item is not nil
I beleive value if adjusted automatically when we sale the product
Kindly support