Suggestion for delivery address on delivery notes

When writing out a Delivery Note we choose the customer but in the delivery address is not automatically displayed. Is there a way of having two different boxes for Billing and Delivery Address in the customer section or some kind of tick box to say the billing address is the same as the delivery address when typing out the delivery note ??

thanks in advance

1 Like

at present there is no provision in Manager to set a default delivery address for a customer which is separate from the billing address. the billing address is assumed as the delivery address in delivery note by Manager. you do not have to type anything in the Delivery address field if it is same as the Billing address.

Also,
In Sales Orders tab, you have the provision to enter the delivery address.
After creating a sales order you can select the Copy To option to copy the same to Delivery Note.
By this method the delivery address will be automatically copied to the delivery note.

you can read these guides
https://www.manager.io/guides/7236
https://www.manager.io/guides/7262

This is not correct. The billing address is not picked up by the program if no delivery address is entered. Instead, if nothing is entered in the delivery note field, the finished delivery note contains no address.

This part is correct.

The reason for this behavior is that when creating a delivery note directly, no delivery address appears in the Delivery address field. But when copying from a sales order, something is already there, so it is carried over. I am moving @HSBC’s suggestion to the Ideas category. The way this would probably be implemented is to test whether a delivery address already exists when creating a delivery note by any means. If it doesn’t (as when creating a new delivery note from scratch), the billing address would be inserted.

My mistake. it appears when it is copied from a sales invoice to delivery notes.

thank you for the replies and i appreciate you adding this to the ideas.

Is there a ETA for this to be added or is there not an ETA on this as of yet?

Regards

There is almost never an announced ETA, even when future developments are promised. Even when schedules are mentioned, those should not be regarded as commitments or firm plans. There is also no guarantee that something will be implemented just because it appears in the ideas list. The purpose of the ideas list is to attract further comments and discussion.

Cheers for the reply and i understand fully

Love the improvement if implemented. I had troubles to manually copy the delivery address since I’m providing personal delivery service.

A post was split to a new topic: Many unrelated questions

Added to the latest version (18.1.81).

When you set delivery address under customer, it will automatically populate on delivery notes.

1 Like

@lubos i havent tried out the latest version, but a problem i see with this is that when there are multiple delivery addresses for the same customer.

In his GST for India theme, @sharpdrivetek had earlier implemented the “Shipped To:” custom field for sales invoices which would populate with the default recepient information if a custom shipped to address is not set.

would there be a conflict between the two, when i upgrade to the latest version?

A custom field is going to show its own contents. Delivery address contents won’t populate to a custom field. Sales invoices don’t have a delivery address field, so there is also no built-in place for contents of that field to go. I can’t see why the presence of a custom field in a custom theme would be affected by this.

@lubos this update does not work as needed. there is a bug.

if a delivery address is set for a customer, it is shown when creating a delivery note.
but when a delivery address is not set for a customer, the original billing address is not shown on the delivery note. only the customer name and business identifier is shown.

this is exactly what the Indian users need.
http://www.cbec.gov.in/resources//htdocs-cbec/gst/invoice-gst-rules17052017.pdf

all tax invoice should have the billed and shipped to party clearly mentioned.

@lubos if the new Delivery Address field under Customers tab can be converted as a custom field with the ability to rename its heading would be really helpful. else, both the sales invoice and delivery notes forms should be modified to include both billing and shipping fields separately.

The link you provided, @sharpdrivetek, does not actually mention billed and shipped to addresses. Paragraphs 1(m) and 1(n) mention place of supply and delivery address (if different from place of supply).

I would interpret place of supply as your own address, already covered on Manager sales invoices. And I would interpret the customer’s address as delivery address unless a separate address is shown. Since, as you quoted my earlier statement, sales invoices don’t include the delivery address, you would have to add a custom field to sales invoices for delivery address (not shipped to address) for those situations where the normal billing address is not the delivery address.

Further, I see no rule actually requiring a delivery note or other document not satisfied by the sales invoice (relabelled as tax invoice). So I’m not seeing what you need that you don’t already have.

As for addresses appearing on delivery notes, if you’re using them and want a delivery address to appear, you need to enter the delivery address for the customer. It isn’t a bug that the billing address does not appear as the delivery address. It’s was the former design of the program and remains the current design after delivery addresses were added for customers. A bug would be something that produces a wrong result. In this case, there is no address because one has not been entered and the developer evidently decided not to substitute something else. You can enter any address you want manually, however. You might argue that the program should automatically substitute the billing address when no delivery address is provided, but that could cause problems. For example, a customer might have one billing address but always take deliveries somewhere else (such as construction project sites). So you wouldn’t want the billing address always being inserted on delivery notes.

If you read back through this entire thread, you will see that originally guessed that the implementation might include substitution of billing addresses for absent delivery addresses. My guess was wrong, and I agree with the current implementation. I had not fully considered all situations when I made my earlier guess.

place of supply is the address of the billed to party. this determines the tax code to be applied. the tax codes are different for intra-state and inter-state supplies.

this is what we are or i am doing at present. but this is useful when the delivery address is more than one for a single customer. for users who have customers with a single delivery address, they will still have to manually type the address in custom field on sales invoices even after setting this up in the customers tab.

so for deliveries made through delivery notes need not have a delivery address?
or the user should manually type in the address every time because the customer’s billing and delivery address are the same?

when a customer needs delivery at a different address the same can be set under the customer details. when the delivery address is same, it would be left blank, and if blank Manager should use the billing address as delivery address.

Do you have a legal reference for this definition, as used in India? This is not a universal principle. At least in some jurisdictions, if not most, the tax is based on the delivery address, not the billing address, with billing address being completely immaterial. And in situations where no delivery address is available, delivery address is assumed to be the supplier’s address (as is obviously the case for a takeaway, cash sale). While the phrase place of supply is not used everywhere, it would most often be interpreted as the location where the buyer takes control and ownership of goods or where services are performed.

Ultimately, you are suggesting modification of the program to match one possible interpretation of one country’s tax law. I don’t know that our interpretation is correct. Between you and the reference provided, there are billing, shipped to, supply, and delivery addresses. Every other country in the world seems to get by with an address of the supplier, a billing address for the customer, and (when different from the customer’s billing address) a delivery address. Otherwise, people would be clamoring for changes to the program.

http://www.cbec.gov.in/htdocs-cbec/gst/eflier-IGST-23062017.pdf

its on the second page… look for “place of supply”

1 Like

thanks for the link @spandan888

@Tut hope the link provides the answers you are looking for.

1 Like

Thanks, @spandan888. Yes, @sharpdrivetek, the document was extremely useful.

Things seem relatively simple to me, and are basically what I suspected. The governing principle is set out in paragraph 10.1:

16%20AM

Place of supply is India’s way of determining which tax code applies. The included tables in the second reference are a comprehensive way of determining place of supply, which is (for most circumstances) one of the three addresses I mentioned before:

• Supplier’s business address
  • Customer’s business address
  • Delivery address

(Circumstances where one of these is not the place of supply are situations like transportation tickets or offshore service delivery, where various rules refer to points of departure, nearest point of land, or similar details.)

I draw a few conclusions from the two references:

• The real need is to specify place of supply on the tax invoice (but also on payment and receipt vouchers and possibly some other forms). In most jurisdictions, this would be inherent in selection of the proper tax code. But India’s regulations explicitly require place of supply. So it seems a custom field for this information, identically named, is necessary on all forms where the requirement is deemed to apply.
  • Given the complexities of the place of supply rules, it isn’t possible to say Manager could automatically fill such a field with any of the three addresses listed above.
  • By extension, @sharpdrivetek’s earlier statement that place of supply is the address of the billed party (the customer) is not always true. It is sometimes true, but more often is the delivery address or supplier’s address.
  • Delivery address only needs to be specified if it is different from place of supply. So an additional custom field might be necessary for sales invoices. (This rule does not seem to pertain to other transaction forms.)
  • Delivery address has no legal significance by itself. It acquires significance only when it also qualifies as the place of supply. Nevertheless, it must be shown on tax invoices, if different.

Overall, I see no benefit to automatically substituting a customer’s billing address for delivery address if the delivery address is blank. It seems this would more often create the need to edit than save work.

we, or i, already have a custom field for place of supply. i had also given the necessary suggestions in a topic where i had provided a custom theme for Indian users during the transition to GST tax system.

you are completely confused regarding the place of supply. this is not the billing or shipping address. the place of supply is just the name of the state to which the materials are supplied. each state in India have been allocated specific codes. so the name of the state and its code is what place of supply is.

yes. but if it is different, does Manager provide the option to enter it on a sales invoice by default? the answer is still no because the recent feature addition shows the delivery address only on the Delivery Note.

Delivery address has importance because it has to be on the invoice as per law.
you can check on the link i provided in post #13. this is as defined in 1(n).

a user who has a default delivery address set under Customers tab will nevertheless have to type a different address if instructed by the customer. so i do not see why this would make any difference if the delivery address shows the billing address when both are the same.