Chart of Accounts - Account's Code

Is there a way to insert alphanumeric codes (A1000) or complex codes (100.100.100) into chart of accounts’ code field?

No. Integer numbers only.

It would be great to have this upgrade.

2 Likes

For what purpose? The point of the account code is to order the accounts on the summary page. I cannot see any other use for account codes.

Account codes are often used to indicate hierarchies and relationships within an accounting structure. For example, group 6700 might be expenses for business taxes paid. 6710 could be real property taxes, 6720 municipal license taxes, 6730 district fire protection tax. In Manager, 6700 could be assigned to an expense group, while 6710, 6720, and 6730 would be individual account codes. (Group and total codes are separate sequences in Manager, but work just as well when they fit a bigger structure.)

This approach would handle @Davide’s desire for detailed account designations, just without letters and decimal points. Manager will accept codes up to 10 digits long.

Maybe you might want to read this:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chart_of_accounts#Types_of_accounts

The first digit might signify the type of account (asset, liability, etc.). For example, if the first digit is a “1,” it is an asset. If the first digit is a “6,” it is an operating expense.

But at the end, one often follows the chart of accounts as instructed by your accountant.

2 Likes

Interesting. I never realised that the account code was used for actual accounting purposes. I was always under the impression that it was used to order the accounts on the summary page which is what I use it for, mainly for the sub headings. Oh well its not something that I need to worry about as my accountant has never asked me to address that and I don’t think its required in UK law. Thanks for clarifying that.

Account codes obviously also control the order of appearance in Manager. So both purposes are useful, depending on what you need. In some jurisdictions, certain businesses (or perhaps all) must use legally mandated account structures.

1 Like

Yes they are. And in Italy for my kind of activity the law states that se should use letters, numbers and dots. That’s way I was asking if It can be pur under ideas

@lubos any news about this feature? Are you planning it? Thanks

Currently, the Code field is used mostly for making accounts to appear in correct order. I’m considering to replace this with some drag & drop mechanism for easier re-ordering and then introduce proper field for account codes which will allow alphanumerical characters (not just number).

At this point, if you need to show account code with non-numerical characters, why not put this code into the name field?

1 Like

That’s what I’m doing right now. But since I use those codes also for extra reporting and business intelligence, having those inside the description fields, it’s not very functional. And you have to keep in mind that I don’t want those codes to show in every report.

It would be easy and fine to have a “note” text column in the chart of account fields that one can choose to display or not in Manager’s reports.

The ideal thing as I said once would be the possibility to put custom fields also in the chart of accounts.

ok, Is there any possibility to make a copy of chart of account and paste it if i have a new business or i have to make it all from start ?

With the actual export/import under setting you can do this only for the balance sheet not the P&L. It was done for localisation. That’s why it was done this way… maybe @lubos can extend it.

@aehf, where are you trying to copy and paste the chart of accounts from? If you are trying to create a Manager business similar to an existing one, you could import a backup and use the Batch Delete function to get rid of the transactions in the origin business.

2 Likes

As it’s not a feature now, here’s an ‘out of the box’ idea.

Use the first 2 digits of your account # to represent letter 01 = “A”, 02 = “B”, 03 = “C”, etc…

It should then be fairly simple to create an Excel vba script to change the first 2 digit to a letter and format the ‘dots’ into the correct location.

Not ‘elegant’, but would get the desired result.

I have been locked into MYOB for many years - now using Manager (Thank Goodness) so I use the same numbers for my Account Codes as I was using before (eg. 10000 Assets 20000 Liabilities 30000 for Equity 40000 for Income 50000 for Purchases (cost of Sales) 60000 Expenses 80000 Other Income and 90000 for Other Expenses. I have set up a Template using this chart of accounts and just import a New Business for a new Client. This saves me a lot of time setting up in the event of obtaining a new client.

1 Like

The latest version (20.2.62) allows alphanumerical codes in chart of accounts.

This means account codes will no longer be used to define order of groups and accounts. Instead there is new mechanism to reorder chart of accounts when you click on arrow button.

Screenshot_2020-04-05 Test — Chart of Accounts

You get another screen where you can drag & drop items within the level you clicked on.

Screenshot_2020-04-05 Test — Chart of Accounts(1)

Then press Update button at the bottom.

2 Likes

Thanks @lubos. A very big improvement. This together with the adding to the import/export of BS structure of the P&L would simply the kick off of each business.

1 Like

Dear @lubos, another thing that you should took under consideration is that, now that you added the possibility to use alphanumeric codes, you should extend the possibility to edit also Assets and Liabilities accounts in order to add the code (as in the Equity field).