Again: Purchase Invoices and Reference field

At ‘Purchase Invoices’ there is a field ‘Reference’, where I can put some relevant info.
I would like to use this for referencing my scanned invoice, so when I click on it, it opens the file (a bitmap).
When I use the following syntax:

<A HREF="file:///c:/temp/after.png">After.png</A>

the program transforms the ‘<’ end ‘>’, thus it becomes:

&lt;A HREF="file:///c:/temp/after.png"&gt;After.png&lt;/A&gt;

which is correct, in a way. But now my clickable link is not a clickable link anymore!
When I edit the sourcecode of this page of Manager in a HTML-editor, and change back

&lt; to < and &gt; to > 

and open this edited file in a webbrowser, the link is a clickable link again! How is this possible, and more over: how can I make a clickable link in the ‘Refenece’ field of an purchased invoice?

Thanks for your concern.

But reference field should be used for invoice number on supplier’s invoice.

If you want to enter link to your scanned document, create new custom field.

To make it a link, use markdown, not HTML… like this:

[Scanned document](file:///c:/temp/after.png)

Maybe I’ll enable automatic detection of hyperlink then you could just paste the link without any markup.

Thanks for your quick reply. I tried it as you suggested with a custom field and using Markdown, but it did not work: it did not become a clickable link. Furthermore: when I use custom fields, this field does not show-up like the Reference field does in the ‘Purchase Invoices’ screen. And that’s just where I would like to see this link, because than I can easily check my input against the original scanned invoice. This way it is more meaningful than the reference field to be used for invoice number on supplier’s invoice, because on my scanned invoice this invoice number is mentioned (of course). I use Manager desktop edition for Windows, version 15.7.3.

Added:
It looks like Markdown is not implemented in my Manager version, as it does not work at any place in the program.

Markdown should work across all custom fields. It’s not implemented in reference field. I tested my solution and it worked but the markdown needs to be entered into custom field.

Anyway. In future, there is going to be more elegant way to attach scanned documents to transactions.

OK, but why not implement Markdown it in the Reference Field? This way it is more meaningful than the reference field to be used for invoice number on supplier’s invoice only, because on my scanned invoice this invoice number is mentioned of course.
So I then would have the check of the invoice number on supplier’s invoice AND it does what I would like to do: link to the scanned document.

Reference number is meant to be a lightweight field which should contain identifier of source document only.

Why are you so set on this field? Is it because it is positioned at the top of the document?

As you can see, I already mentioned it:

Any movement in this area? Scanned documents is probably number one on my lit of desirables for manager